Is anyone still following this thing? Anyone? The spambots aren’t even trying to breach the gates these days, so I imagine the answer to that is a solid no.
Which, to be honest? Is fair. It has been just shy of 1,240 days since my last update. Which is a bloody long time for anyone to pay attention to anything without any signs of life.
The RPG world has gone on without me piping up to make comments no one asked for, which ought to surprise absolutely no one. Last I posted 4th Edition was in full swing – well now 5th Edition has come out, and it’s phenomenal. I’m getting ready to run my first 5e game in the coming weeks. But there’s more than just that:
- Monte Cook’s Numenera has blown my mind, both with its streamlined and simplistic core mechanic and its innovative way of incorporating DM fuckery (which they call a “GM intrusion”) into the system.
- Related to that, the team behind the best CRPG of all time – Planescape: Torment – kickedstarted a “spiritual sequel” called Torment: Tides of Numenera. I am a backer, and am crazy excited about this game. Every screen shot and update makes me practical jump in place.
- I discovered the Dark Souls series, which I absolutely love. I spent a long time trying to explain to some of my newer players why I wanted to run a darker, grittier, more challenging game – and failing to make them understand why I thought hard = fun. Now I wish I’d just gotten them to play this.
- Darkest Dungeon came out, which is just phenomenal. Basically, a Dark Souls-esque philosophy brought to the adventuring party dungeon crawl. With lots of Lovecraft thrown in for awesomeness and madness! This also led me to Torchbearer the tabletop system the game is based on. Both are fantastic. (Edit: I apparently got this wrong; these games are similar in theme but otherwise not related to one another.)
- And the 2nd Edition of the new World of Darkness has started launching. Vampire the Requiem 2e and Werewolf the Forsaken 2e are both out, with others (such as Mage, Promethean, and Changeling) coming out in the future. I haven’t finished Werewolf (it just came out), but my impression is the same as of Vampire: mostly impressed, a few minor gripes. I’ll do a post or two about these sometime in the future.
I have no idea how often I’ll be posting. That’s on the short-list of things I need to think about, and you can expect my next post – whenever it drops – to touch on that.